Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer



We ended our summer of 2014 with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Mallory and I were townspeople, I was Jessica Rogers and had three darling children, one of whom was one of Tom's best friends. My stage son was a joy to work with, and sharing the stage with Mallory for the first time was a thrill. That gal out-acted, out-danced me at every turn. Watching her grow in her first "small" musical was amazing. She gained so much confidence in herself and subsequently began paving her own road for her future in community theater. She made new friends, friends who, when they see her at subsequent rehearsals and shows, run up to her with arms open for a hug and a squeal of delight. That alone would be reason enough to keep doing theater, but to see what she's gaining in so many areas make it easy for me to say yes to auditions.

We had so much fun doing this show together. We also learned so much! A good friend of mine directed it, and did so with an amazing level of professionalism and organization it never felt like a drain on my time, which sometimes rehearsing can be. Our music director also brought a level of talent and professionalism to the show that I was surprised to see. I'd previously only seen him as our theater's primary male lead, but to see him as a director was a joy. He knows his stuff, on and off the stage and it's always fun to work with him. Lynn, thank you for your hardwork and friendship. I hope to continue to learn from you.

Period hair and costume. Dress rehearsal. Only without the glasses during actual shows. 

 We had the opportunity to promote our show at Klear Nearly Days in Nickerson. We walked the parade route, in 100+ degree weather, in costume. And lived to tell about it! Tom only caused a little mischief, but then that's to be expected. ;)

 Our set, during construction. This set was so cool! Our theater has a balcony on the stage, so our creative set folks built Tom a dock and a tree house. And of course, the Mississippi River running through.

 Me and my girl. She adored that bonnet. So much so that the very generous woman who made it said she could keep it afterward. Thank you, Janet! It was a joy and privilege to share the stage with you and Mallory will never forget your generosity. 

The lovely and talented Amberley Denton, aka Aunt Polly, helping me with my bun. I'm so glad we got to know each other through this experience! We missed you in Shrek, lady!! 

Tom Sawyer was delight. It was a great second show and solidified for me that I love theater. It was the first of many shows I will do with my girl and our new extended family of theater weirdos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment